Chepachet Baptist Church

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Log of the Newport Artillery Company
June 24—June 30, 1842

INCLUDING THE RECORD OF ITS ENCAMPMENT
AT THE CHEPACHET MEETING HOUSE
DURING THE DORR REBELLION

On the following pages is a typescript of the Log of the Newport Artillery Company, mustered into active service during the Dorr Rebellion. This Company, chartered in 1741, is the oldest company of militia extant in Rhode Island, and arguably the oldest active militia company in continuous existence in the United States. The period covered in the Log is from Friday, June 24, 1842, through Thursday, June 30, 1842, inclusive, as recorded by William H. Henderson, Clerk of the Company.

This section of the Log provides a record of the movement of the Company from Newport to Providence, its march to Chepachet by way of Scituate, its overnight stay at the Chepachet Meeting House, and its journey back to Providence and Newport.

The Newport Artillery Company marching during the late 1800's. Courtesy of the Newport Artillery Company.

 

Click on photo to enlarge.

The Chepachet campaign was the second tour of duty for the Newport Artillery Company in the Dorr Rebellion, the first being from May 18 to May 25, 1842, when the company was dispatched from Newport to Providence in the aftermath of the unsuccessful attempt by forces loyal to Thomas Dorr to seize the Cranston Street Arsenal in Providence. The Company on this first occasion, under the leadership of Colonel William B. Swan, bravely marched against a fortified position defended with loaded cannon, which, fortunately for all concerned, were not fired by the defenders, who, according to at least one account, fled the site, apparently at the orders of Dorr. In fact, it would appear that the forces on both sides in all phases of the rebellion went to some length to avoid direct armed conflict which would have led to serious injuries and fatalities.

Flag presented to the Newport Artillery Company by the Ladies of Providence for the Company's actions in its first trip to Providence in May, 1842, during the Dorr Rebellion.

 

Click on photo to enlarge.

The Newport Artillery Company marched to Chepachet in June with the Warren Artillery and Warren Infantry Companies. This force of about 350 men had five field pieces between them, as mentioned in the log. The Newport Artillery Company had in its possession at that time (and still has in its possession) two three-pounder and two four-pounder cannon cast by Paul Revere in 1797 and obtained by the company in 1814. They bear the Rhode Island anchor. Although it cannot be said with certainly, some of these cannon may have been taken to Chepachet on this tour of duty, although, according to its current commander, Colonel Geoffrey Gardner, pictured here, the Company also had other field pieces in its possession at the time, and it is more likely that these more modern pieces would have been taken.

The full route of the Company to Chepachet is not known to us at this time, although, according to the Log, it clearly started from Providence and went through Olneyville to Scituate Mills, which we take to be North Scituate today. The route it took from North Scituate to Chepachet is not specified in the Log—and apparently was not clear at times to the Company—since at one point they took the wrong road (with the Warren Infantry in the van). We have three clues that help us guess at the route from Scituate to Chepachet: 1) according to the Log, at one point the Company was at a spot where musket fire in the direction of Greenville was heard and "shortly after" cannonading from Chepachet was heard; 2) the Affidavit of Ara Hawkins referring to an armed force that had come that morning from "Scituate Four Corners," which might have been Scituate Mills—and this may have been the Newport and Warren Artillery Companies; 3) at one point, according to the Log, not too far from Chepachet, the Company halted to consult about which of two roads to take.

We start our speculations with the assumption that the Company did not march into Chepachet by Putnam Pike. Had it been intended for them to approach Chepachet along this road, they almost certainly would have been sent out Putnam Pike in the first place, which was the direct route from Providence—it makes little sense to arrive from Providence by Putnam Pike, having marched through Scituate on the way. Orders might have changed in mid-course, but there is nothing to suggest that this happened: when Major Hughes arrived with the news that the Company was on the wrong road, it was clearly his design to put them onto their "intended" way, and not to countermand the original orders.

Furthermore, the Log states that the Newport Artillery company advanced unit arrived in Chepachet ten minutes before the advance unit of Colonel Brown's—which did come by Putnam Pike. Had both companies come by way of Putnam Pike and their advance units been this close together, it would have placed the two main companies in close proximity and close communication, and the episode of the Newport Company's hearing the musketry firing in the direction of Greenville (they didn't know what it meant) would have been interpreted differently at the time and reported differently in the Log, had the two companies been that proximate along the same route of march.

Moreover, the Newport Artillery Company (and the Warren units) were probably sent through Scituate so they could approach Chepachet from the south, and it is likely that this was part of a plan to encircle Chepachet by sending detachments in from several directions—which, in fact happened, with other units converging from Foster and Woonsocket, as well as from Providence by way of Putnam Pike (which meant that troops actually entered Chepachet by roads from all directions except from Connecticut.

A strategy of converging from several directions might not only have served the military objective of confusing the Dorrites (whose forces were small enough for the Charter forces safely to violate the traditional military principle of concentration), but it also would have served the objective of either capturing fleeing individual insurgents or preventing an organized body of insurgents from moving to another part of the state.

If the Newport Artillery Company did not go from Scituate to Chepachet by Putnam Pike, then they must have come in from the south on the road towards Cherry Valley, or from the southeast on Tourtellot Hill Road—there are no other reasonable options for someone coming from Scituate. Here the testimony of Ara Hawkins may be relevant: he witnessed a movement of troops on its way from "Scituate four corners" to Chepachet, and the Warren and Newport contingents may be candidates here (we will blame the Warren Infantry for harassing him—they seem to have been in the van of march!). The Log does not report any other units stationed nearby in Scituate the night before.

Also in this connection, it is reported that Col. Steadman's forces came from Foster, which might well have meant that they also passed along the road by Hawkins' farm, but that was at 5:00 PM late in the afternoon, and clearly not the force that interrogated Hawkins in the morning. The balance of evidence appears to be in favor of the Newport Artillery company entering Chepachet from the south by way of the road from Cherry Valley.

If the Newport Company came in by the road towards Cherry Valley, did they march west from Scituate to Chopmist Corners—or out the Hartford Pike—and then north through Cherry Valley to Chepachet? Neither is likely because either of these routes is much longer and because either would soon have taken them out of hearing distance of musketry from Greenville, though not necessarily the cannonade from Chepachet on a cloudy morning following a heavy rainstorm. The same can be said for a march out the Hartford Pike, cutting north to what is now Tourtellot Hill Road. Moreover, the road from Cherry Valley to Chepachet in 1842 was far from direct, unlike the current Victory Highway.

Here are two more likely alternatives. The first alternative is that the Company marched directly north out of Scituate, took the wrong road, as noted, rectified this, and then finally found itself somehow on Snake Hill Road at (or east of), its intersection with Sawmill Road or Tucker Road where the Laurel Hill Grange is today. This would have kept it in earshot of the musketry from Brown's unit, then located on Putnam Pike "in the direction of Greenville," as well as in earshot of cannonade from Chepachet, especially given the probable weather conditions.

The shortest distance to Chepachet from that part of Snake Hill Road would have been west and then up Tourtellot Hill Road, which would have brought the Company to the corner of Tourtellot and Pound—consistent with the account in the Log of their halting not far from Chepachet to decide which road to take (assuming that Tourtellot Hill Road went that far at that time, which we have not yet been fully able to ascertain, although it seems likely). There are not many viable possibilities for such an intersection, consistent with their general direction, distance, and timing. It would have been a real choice: Tourtellot Hill Road would have brought the Company into Chepachet by the shortest route; Pound Road would have brought the Company into Chepachet by the route from the south, consistent with an original strategy of stopping insurgents from fleeing Chepachet to the southern part of the state. If our hypothesis is correct, they chose Pound Road, consistent with a strategy of intercepting Dorrites fleeing south, and this move brought them to Chepachet past Ara Hawkins' house and barn, and Mr. Phetteplace's charcoal pits, as described in Hawkins' Affidavit. The fact that they were continually looking for Dorrites, as shown by the Log, suggests that this was a major part of their mission, and an excellent reason for the choice of route from Providence to Chepachet.

Map of possible routes taken by the Newport Artillery Company to Chepachet, and back to Providence.

 

Click on photo to enlarge.

Another line of argument supporting this route into Chepachet is based on a map prepared by Arthur C. Cole in 1963 from old Glocester records, reprinted by Thomas E. Greene in 1973, which shows the roads of the town for the year 1790. The route from Chepachet via the Cherry Valley Road, Pound Road, and Tourtellot Hill Road to Snake Hill Road is labeled "Road to Providence via North Scituate." Apparently this line of travel between Snake Hill Road and Chepachet was considered long before the Dorr Rebellion to be a part of a passageway between Providence and Chepachet via North Smithfield, and it therefore makes sense that it would have been the intended route of march of the Artillery Company out of North Scituate. Unfortunately, this map does not confirm where this route lay between Snake Hill Road and North Scituate itself—and that is our most difficult speculation.

The Log says they commenced their march between two and three o'clock in the morning, discovering that they were on a wrong road at about daybreak (on June 27, assuming noon was calculated as midday, that would have been around four-twenty a.m.), which means roughly a two hour march "upon a bad road rendered worse by heavy rain," hauling five cannon. It is tough to estimate the rate of march, but it certainly was not more than two miles an hour under these conditions, and probably was substantially less. It is possible that they marched north and somehow took a wrong turn to the west (or left)—and that this occurred about two miles from North Scituate.

It could have been up Peeptoad Road, turning into Elmvale and Rocky Hill, which we have here sketched out in a solid purple line as one possible route, asking that it be considered a very speculative product, especially in this area between North Scituate and Snake Hill Road. It also could have been north towards Greenville, with a failure to turn onto Snake Hill Road, or something in between. This will probably always remain a mystery.

A second alternative, taking the Artillery Company further away from Greenville, but still a distinct possibility, is that they marched up Peeptoad Road to Rocky Hill Road, continued along Rocky Hill Road, failed to turn north onto Tourtellot Hill Road, discovered their error, reversed direction, returned to Tourtellot Hill Road, and then marched up it to Pound Road. According to the 1790 map mentioned above, Tourtellot Hill Road extended from Rocky Hill Road to Snake Hill Road, and this may have been the route of the "Road to Providence via North Scituate" described on that map. We have sketched this alternative route, with the error on Rocky Hill Road, in a dotted purple line.

Upon reaching Chepachet, the Newport Artillery Company was quartered at the Chepachet Meeting House for one night, according to its Log. Although it is possible that officers and some men were billeted in the Meeting House itself, the account also refers to the company's "Camp" and later to tents being struck, which suggests that part of the Company, at least, quartered outside of the Meeting House.

Although part of this encampment may have been in front of the Meeting House, it is likely that it was principally to the west of the building (probably extending into the neighboring field) because there were dwellings and other buildings to the east of the church at that time (as now), and one of the principal duties of the Company was to guard the "Connecticut road" (now Putnam Pike) which runs west from the church.

Cannon cast by Paul Revere, which fires a three-pound shot, owned by the Newport Artillery Company at the time of the Dorr Rebellion. This field piece may have been taken to Chepachet and stationed on the Meeting House grounds.

 

Click on photo to enlarge.

One presumes that the cannon were stationed under guard on or about the Meeting House grounds. The Company horses may well have been stabled in the carriage shed, which was standing at that time.

Neither the records of the Meeting House nor of the Church make mention of the encampment. There is nothing to indicate that any damage was done to the Meeting House or that any repairs to the building were made immediately subsequent to the encampment (the next recorded repair was to shingle the roof the following winter). Indeed, the Affidavit of Clovis Bowen, on this website, suggests that the Newport Artillery Company participated, if at all, to a far less degree in the looting of the Village than other companies among the occupation forces. All this supports our long-standing conviction that the Newport Artillery Company was fully respectful of the property of the Meeting House during its one-night encampment.

A later type of cannon like those which also may have been taken to Chepachet.

 

Click on photo to enlarge.

Indeed, its presence may actually have been of material advantage to Amherst Kimball, one of the original proprietors of the Meeting House, who donated the land on which it was built. In the terms of his deed to said Proprietors of the Chepachet Meeting House, he (and his heirs and assigns forever) retained the right to come onto church property at any time when services were not being held to gather (for his own use) any horse droppings which could be found there. It is entirely possible that Mr. Kimball (or his heirs and assigns) exercised those rights in this respect immediately after the departure of the Newport Artillery Company. These rights were surrendered by the heirs of Amherst Kimball in 1948.

Colonel Geoffrey Gardner, Commander of the Newport Artillery Company in 2004, standing next to the uniform of Colonel Swan.

 

Click on photo to enlarge.

Many thanks are due to the Newport Artillery Company and to its former Commander John Mack, for making available to the Meeting House and to the Chepachet Free Will Baptist Church a xeroxed copy of the original Log, which has been transcribed on the following pages (the original is at the Newport Historic al Society). Many thanks are also due to Colonel Geoffrey Gardner, the current Commander of the Newport Artillery Company, for his hospitality and for his help in preparing this web page.

Clifford W. Brown, Jr.

Chepachet Free Will Baptist Church


LOG OF THE NEWPORT ARTILLERY COMPANY

June 24—June 30, 1842

Friday, June 24th, 1842.

At 11 o'clock, A. M. Col. Dyer, the Adjutant General arrived express from Providence with an order from the Governor to Col. [William B.] Swan to muster the Company, armed and equipped for ten days services and embark for Providence immediately, which order was promptly complied with, and in one hour from the time the order was received, the Company had embarked on board the Steamer for Providence. The Boat stopped at Bristol and Warren, took on board the Bristol and Warren Artillery and arrived at Providence at 4 1/2 o'clock, P. M. when the Company immediately disembarked and marched to their quarters in the Armory of the First Light Infantry. The cause of our being again called into service is owing to an attempt now making by Thomas W. Dorr to plunder the State, under the pretense of putting the so-called "Peoples Constitution" in force. With that view, he has taken possession of and fortified Acotts [sic] Hill in the Village of Chepachet, 16 miles from Providence, and is there collecting all those reckless and desperate characters from the neighboring States, and particularly, New York City, who can be induced by a hope of plunder to join in so unholy an undertaking. He is reported to have, at this time, about 700 men and 9 pieces of cannon in his camp. The citizens of Providence, are in a continual state of alarm, fearing an attack from the enemy.

Armory of the Newport Artillery Company, Clark Street, Newport, built in 1836. The Company marched out these doors with its cannon on its way to Chepachet in 1842.

 

Click on photo to enlarge.

At 9 o'clock, P. M., the Company, in conjunction with the Providence Light Infantry, started from their quarters for Holmes' Brewery near Federal Hill, in order to capture about 120 of Dorr's men said to be there assembled. After proceeding a short distance, the order was countermanded as the enemy, having got minds of our movement, has fled. The Company then marched back to their quarters and after posting a guard, was dismissed for the night.

Saturday, June 25th, 1842.

During the whole of this day, the City was filled with rumors and reports of the doings of the enemy, the most of which were false. Volunteers and Militia came flocking in from all parts of the State in obedience to the call of Gov. King to aid in putting down the insurgents and vindicating the majesty of the Laws.

An order was this morning issued by Maj. Gen Anthony for all the troops in the city to assemble upon Benefit Street in the afternoon for inspection and review. At 3, P. M., the Company marched from their quarters to the place appointed, where the line having been formed with the Artillery Company (being the oldest corps) on the right, its position from immemorial custom by virtue of its date of Charter. The Division, numbering 1500 men, took up its line of march for Smith's Hill, where the troops were inspected and reviewed by Major General Wm. Gibbs McNeill (the commander of all the forces called into services at this time). After the review, the Division was marched into North Main Street and dismissed. The Artillery Company then marched immediately to their quarters at the Infantry Armory, having been ordered in connection with the
Providence Infantry Company to march to Smith's Hill and guard the road, leading from Chepachet to Providence, during the night.

The Company at 9 P. M., being joined by the Infantry, marched from their quarters to Smith's Hill, where the column halted for a few minutes, and then moved on the road toward Chepachet, about 1 1/2 miles from the City of Providence, where it again halted, and a picket guard having been placed a short distance in advance, the main body was directed to stand to their arms and await the arrival of Col . Swan who had not yet joined (he having by direction of the Major General, gone to headquarters for orders some time since). After remaining in this position for nearly 2 1/2 hours, the rain falling fast during the whole time, the Colonel, at about 11 1/2 P. M. joined us, when the main body was ordered to fall back about 100 rods and take up their quarters in a bleaching house and two barns which was done, the guard being regularly relieved. Nothing of consequence occurred during the night. A few suspicious persons were stopped, and at sunrise on Sunday morning, the Company returned to their quarters at the Infantry Armory.

Sunday, June 26th, 1842.

This day like the preceding was filled with rumors, some true and some false. At 1 o'clock, P. M. an order was received by the Colonel for the Company to march to Scituate Mills—ten miles from Providence, in conjunction with the Warren Artillery, Capt. Pearce, and, Warren Infantry, Capt. Fessenden, tomorrow morning, immediately after breakfast. The Detachment to be under the command of Col. Swan, and to be accompanied by Gen. Gibbs with a troop of cavalry. Orders were accordingly issued to the Captains of the above named companies to repair to Weybosset bridge, tomorrow morning at 4 o'clock.

At 6 o'clock, P.M., the Company was thoroughly inspected, and after partaking of their supper at the American House (where they were addressed in a very impressive manner by the Rev. Mr. Thayer, of this place, who accompanied us to Chepachet) they returned to the Armory and were dismissed until 4 o'clock, to'morrow morning—the members then dispersed to different parts of the City, and lodged, by invitation, at the houses of different citizens—a guard being furnished, for our field pieces, from the Providence City Guards.

Monday, June 27th, 1842.

At 4 o'clock, A. M. the Company assembled, as ordered, and, having breakfasted, at 8, A. M. marched from the Armory and being immediately joined by the Warren Artillery and Warren Infantry - the Detachment amounting to 350 men, with five field pieces, took up the line of march for Scituate Mills, in obedience to orders. Having arrived at Olneyville, the column was halted and a detachment from the Warren Infantry sent forward, half a mile from the main body, as an advance guard the officer in command being instructed to examine narrowly the state of the roads he moved and to arrest all suspicious persons, and report immediately anything unusual which might fall under his notice. This arrangement being made, the order was given to move forward. About 12 o'clock, M. a man was brought in by the advance guard, taken up under suspicious circumstances, not being able to give satisfactory account of himself, he was sent to the rear and given in charge of Capt. Fessenden of the Infantry—but subsequently released. At 1 P.M., the column halted to partake of their dinner, which being done, it again moved on. Stopping at one of the farm houses to procure water, information was given to the commanding officer that a number of suspicious persons were seen skulking in the woods nearby, upon hearing which he ordered the first sections of the Crawford Artillery to make a search in the direction indicated which was promptly done but was unavailing, the persons having fled upon first seeing us. At 4 1/2 o'clock, P. M., the Detachment arrived at Scituate Mills, and halted in the road for half an hour while the ground was reconnoitered and a position selected upon which to encamp. Having selected a high hill which commanded the Village, we marched thither, pitched our tents, posted sentinels around the Camp, picket guards upon the roads leading into the Village and a patrol to scour the streets, the rain, at this time, falling in torrents, the pickets and patrol for the Village was furnished from the Newport Artillery and the sentinels and patrol around the camp from the Warren Artillery and Infantry. About 11 o'clock, P. M. two prisoners were taken by the picket stationed on the road leading to Chepachet who reported Dorr's force as decreasing. At 12 o'clock, Midnight, Major Gilliat—aid to Gen. McNeill—arrived express from Head Quarters with orders for the Commanding Officer to march with his detachment so as to reach Chepachet by daylight, to capture all men in arms, and take possession of all cannon, arms, ammunition, etc., in that Section. He was also directed to move with precaution, "and not to make an attack upon the insurgents should they be in too great force to be subdued without reinforcements," which were to be immediately sent if required. Col. Swan immediately ordered the tents to be struck and all things got in readiness to move. The night was very dark and rainy, and the men very much fatigued. Yet in fifteen minutes from the receipt of the order the tents were struck, the column formed and marched into the Village, where it was detained two hours in endeavoring to find one of the drivers and his horses—he having contrary to orders, changed his quarters and moved his horses to another stable half a mile from the Village. During this time, no guide having been furnished us by the authorities, a member of the Warren Infantry, who had formerly lived in this part of the State, volunteered to act in that capacity. The horses being found and all things in readiness, between 2 and 3 o'clock, A. M. of Tuesday, the column took up its line of march for Chepachet in the same order as when it left Providence. In this manner it proceeded upon a bad road rendered worse by the heavy rain until toward daybreak, when Major Hughes of the City of Providence (who was attached to the Commissary department and joined to this detachment) overtook us, and informed Col. Swan that we had taken the route contrary to the one intended to be taken, which was owing to the guide mistaking his instructions. The column was halted and after a delay of half an hour in taking down stone walls
and fences, in order to turn the wagons and cannon (the road being too narrow for that purpose) the Detachment retraced its steps and arrived, about day-break, upon the right road. This unfortunate mistake caused a delay of an hour and was very mortifying to all. Maj. Hughes now volunteered his services to act as guide, which offer was cheerfully accepted. The order being given to march, the column moved forward with alacrity, —very soon a rapid firing of musketry was heard in the direction of Greenville (this firing was afterwards ascertained to proceed from the men belonging to Col. Brown's detachment, there stationed, who were discharging their pieces, which had been exposed to the rain the previous night, in order to load anew). Shortly after the firing of musketry ceased, a heavy cannonading was heard in the direction of Chepachet (this was afterwards ascertained to have been caused by the boys in that village discharging the field pieces left by Dorr in his encampment—he with his followers having fled in confusion, leaving most of their arms and ammunition on the ground). The advance guard, at this time, captured several of the insurgents flying from Chepachet most of whom had arms and ammunition about their persons; from these men it was ascertained that Dorr had left his camp and all his followers had dispersed. The detachment continued to advance rapidly toward Chepachet, taking prisoners at different points as it moved along. Upon nearing the Village, the guide not having been heard from for an hour, the column was halted and a consultation held as to which of the roads should be taken; while thus deliberating, the guide made his appearance and stated, that he had been near enough to the insurgent camp to ascertain that the reports made by the prisoners were true, the camp being deserted by the insurgents and occupied by a few boys; just at this time he was taken prisoner by the Scouts of the Providence Infantry (attached to Col. Brown's command) and detained for half an hour or more, notwithstanding, he showed his commission as an Assistant Commissary, and his letter of instructions from the Commissary General, they were not satisfied, and did not release him until Crawford-Allen of Providence (also attached to Col. Brown's command) rode up to them and confirmed his assertions. Orders were immediately given to advance which were promptly obeyed. The advance guard, being some distance ahead, soon arrived in the Village and marched into the late encampment of Dorr which they found occupied by a small detachment from Col. Browns command who had arrived there about ten minutes previously. (The balance of Col. Browns troops came into the Village soon afterwards.) Our main body shortly came up, marched into the Village and halted until quarters could be provided for the troops, which having been secured, the Newport Artillery marched to the Meeting House, the Warren Artillery to a large dwelling house opposite Sprague's Tavern, and the Warren Infantry to the Mansion of Col. Atwell, the quarters provided for them respectively. Detachments were immediately sent from the different companies to search for arms and ammunition in and about the Village, which resulted in the capture of a large quantity of both articles. All suspicious places having been searched, and every duty required of us performed, the men were allowed some repose.

Facsimile, now in possession of the Newport Artillery Company, of Dorr's flag.

 

Click on photo to enlarge.

At 5 o'clock, P. M., Gen. Steadman's Brigade arrived in the Village from the Town of Foster, bringing with them a number of prisoners. At about the same hour, a number of the troops returned to Providence by way of Greenville. At sunset, a guard was placed around our Camp and in the Connecticut road which was regularly relieved during the night.

Wednesday, June 29th, 1842.

At about 8 o'clock, A. M., all the troops in the Village, excepting our Company, were on the move. Our Detachment was now separated, the Warren Artillery and Infantry being ordered to Woonsocket and we remaining at Chepachet, our Commander not having received any orders whatever. It was with feelings of deep regret we here parted from our Warren friends, who, by their correct discipline and soldierlike deportment, during the short time we had been together had won the esteem of our whole Company. It is but just to say that of all the troops who came forward to uphold the Government in this emergency, no better or braver men could be found than the men of Warren.

The different troops having left the Village, Col. Swan issued his orders for a guard to be placed around the Camp and picket guards on the road to Woonsocket and Thompson, Connecticut, and no man to be allowed to leave the camp without a pass.

Uniform, together with helmet (on left), of Colonel William B. Swan who commanded the Artillery company on its mission to Chepachet in 1842.

 

Click on photo to enlarge.

At 11 o'clock, A. M. an alarm was given that a body of insurgents was marching to the Village on the Woonsocket road—whereupon the drum beat to quarters, the men stood to their arms, matches were lighted and every thing arranged to give them a warm reception. In a few minutes a troop of cavalry came galloping up the road, being stopped and challenged by the picket guard. They were found to be from Slatersville and had come to offer their services to the Government. This being made known to the Colonel, the order was given to stack arms, and the members of the Company were dismissed with orders not to leave the encampment. At 12 o'clock, M. a body of Infantry was seen marching into the Village on the Scituate road. The Company was again called to arms and a messenger sent to ascertain their character. He soon returned and reported them to be the Burrillville and Foster Volunteers, upon which the Company was dismissed as before.

At 2 1/2 o'clock, P. M., an order was received for the Company to return immediately to Providence. The tents being struck and all things in readiness, at 3 o'clock, the Company marched out of Chepachet and arrived on Smith's Hill, in Providence, at 7 P. M. From thence we marched to the Tockwotton House, where supper was provided for us, after partaking of which, having deposited our arms in the Stable attached to the House, the Company was dismissed until 5 o'clock, to'morrow morning. The members immediately started for their respective quarters, about eighty being accommodated with lodgings on board of the Steamer Massachusetts, and the rest billeted among the citizens.

Thursday, June 30th, 1842.

The Company mustered at 5 o'clock A. M. pursuant to orders, and, after having obtained their breakfast at the Tockwotton House, marched immediately on board of the Steamer Providence for Newport, where we arrived at 12 o'clock M. and marched up the Long Wharf through Thames, Pelham and Spring Streets to the Armory where, after reading the orders issued by the Major General giving the troops permission to return home for the present—and there await further orders, and a few words from Col. Swan expressive of his approbation of the manner in which the members of the Company had performed their duty and ordering them to be in readiness to march again at short notice, the Company was dismissed until to'morrow evening at 8 o'clock.

Test, Wm. H. Henderson, Clk.

The Website of the Chepachet Baptist Church
(Historically the Chepachet Free Will Baptist Church)
-and-
The Proprietors of the Chepachet Meeting House

© Copyright 2004-2018 The Chepachet Free Will Baptist Church Society. All rights reserved.
1213 Putnam Pike - PO Box 148 Chepachet, RI 02814 (401) 568-3771
The church logo was produced by Zachary Andrews.
All photographs, unless otherwise noted, courtesy of Marilyn J. Brownell. All rights reserved.

shopify analytics ecommerce
 

MouseWorks